Joint Communiqué - ECOWAS, CPLP, United Nations, European Union and African Union
A group of five international partners of the Republic of Guinea-Bissau, - ECOWAS, CPLP, United Nations, European Union and African Union, - met today at the African Union Liaison Office in Bissau, to review the latest political developments and express its concern for the prolonged instability felt in the country, and decided to jointly:
- Urge the main political actors Guineans to go down the path of constructive dialogue and take all necessary measures to respect democratic principles and rules established in the Constitution;
- Condemn any act that may endanger stability, peace and security as well as the country’s economic development;
- Reaffirm that the commitments made at the Brussels roundtable still stand and that the rapid disbursement of funds depends on the existence of stability in the Republic of Guinea-Bissau.
- Reiterate their willingness to work together with the Bissau-Guinean political actors in order to find a lasting solution to the problems that have persistently affected the normal functioning of the state's legitimate institutions;
- Call, once again, upon the vital forces of the country, and particularly the holders of organs of sovereignty to come together on the defense of the supreme national interest and respect for the popular will expressed at the polls during the parliamentary and presidential elections in 2014.